My Bike

My Bike

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Light Bar on the Way

I spent a good deal of time trying to decide whether or not I wanted a light bar.  For me it's not about better illumination of the road, etc.  It's about the look; function is secondary in this case.  To me, a light bar is part of what makes a classic cruiser look like a classic cruiser.

I mentioned my ponderings over the light bar question to my wife and showed her the following (very quickly-made) photoshop image of my bike with a light bar installed


 Her response?

     "Why don't you just get it?"

Done.  Wow?  You have no idea.

Update: After a little bit of searching, I finally found a good photo of the 1700 Classic (LT) with the OEM lightbar installed.  It's actually a screen capture from a Kawasaki video (http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=7&id=490)


Yup.  Looks good.

I considered the Cobra light bar as well.  It's less expensive to purchase, but the finish (both the chrome and light lenses) looks inferior to that of the OEM light bar, from the photos that I have seen of the two products.

I had Cobra engine guards on my Volusia.  They looked ok, but the finish wasn't nearly as good as that of the OEM engine guards that I now have on my Vulcan 1700.  The Cobra guards were just "ok" with respect to the quality of the chrome, and there were numerous imperfections.  They were good for the price, but clearly were built to meet a particular price point.

This time around, I'm all in favour of quality over price.  This bike is beautifully made;  I want to add accessories that really complement it and are just as well-made.  Are the OEM accessories overpriced?  Yes, but so are the Cobra accessories, and most specialty items, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment