My Bike

My Bike

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Aftermarket vs "Pre-Accessorized" From the Factory

One of the topics that comes up time and time again, no matter what bike or what forum, is that of buying the pre-accessorized version of a bike (when one exists) vs adding your own accessories from the aftermarket and OEM catalogues.  Sometimes posters even go to the extent of asking questions of the following sort: "If you were going to add x, y and z then why didn't you just buy the [insert name of pre-accessorized version here] instead?"  I'm often tempted to say "...because I prefer to choose my own accessories and wind up with a bike that (1) suits my preferences; (2) doesn't look like every other bike of that model..." In the past I have invariably just ignored such questions.

This time around, though, the questions and comments were directed at me.  Here's a snippet from the VulcanForums.com thread:
You buy a Classic and then you want to buy a windshield, you buy a Classic and then you want bags, you buy a Classic and then you want it to be solo. I'm sorry but I don't follow that logic, with the exception of the solo option all you end up doing is creating an aftermarket Classic LT is that not the case?
Frustrating, to say the least.  Most of what needed to be said has been said, and you can read it in the original thread.

[SARCASM]

Just for the sake of completeness, here's a quick comparison of the LT and my bike because, apparently, the differences are very subtle:





  • LT has a passenger backrest; mine does not, nor do I intend to add one
  • LT has OEM studded saddlebags and seats; mine does not have studs, nor do I intend to add studded anything to it...ever
  • LT has a two-tone paint job; mine is black & chrome
  • LT has non-lockable, fixed, slant-style saddlebags and saddlebag supports; mine has lockable, quick-release, teardrop-style bags
  • LT does not have a light bar; mine does
  • LT does not have engine guards; mine does
  • LT has a windshield; I am considering adding one, but am still undecided

"...all you end up doing is creating an aftermarket Classic LT is that not the case?"

Yup, clearly that's exactly the case...

[/SARCASM]

Nb: shifter-side view of LT is from Google images.  I have used it here simply to allow comparison of my bike and the LT from the shifter side.

No comments:

Post a Comment