My Bike

My Bike

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Philosophy

Specifically, Design Philosophy.

Clean vs Tacky-licious.

I like what Kawasaki's designers did with this bike.  I wasn't all that sure about it when I first saw images online, or even when I first laid eyes on it at the motorcycle show, but it grew on me.

Kawasaki used enough of the traditional lines that tell you that you're looking at a "Classic" cruiser.  They also added a few styling cues to give the impression of muscularity, and to hint at (ok, hit you over the head with) the underlying big-bore (1700cc) displacement.  My first impression of the styling was that it bordered on overly-bulbous.  I still see that at times: the side covers and air filter cover being excellent examples.  Overall, though, I'm really feelin' what they put together on this one.  I decided that my goal, when customizing this bike, would be to keep it looking clean, uncluttered and classy.  This goal drove my choices in engine guards, bags and bag mounting kit.  It also will play into any decision I make on windshield +/- lowers as well as a light bar.

This contrasts sharply with my previous effort: 2002 Suzuki Volusia 800.  I loved the idea of customizing my bike, and went a bit overboard.  The concept was fine, but the materials that I chose were a bit much.  At the present time, I'm not big on studs and conchos.  Back then, that clearly wasn't the case.  Looking back at photos of the finished product vs the stock bike, the thought that crosses my mind every time I see the end-product is "tacky-licious."  My approach this time around was to avoid excessive amounts of shiny stuff (eg. studs and conchos).  The contrast is pretty sharp:





One is clean and classy, while the other is a bit too busy.  I'm determined to take my time with all customization decisions for the Vulcan 1700 and to pursue the right pieces rather than the right now pieces, even if that means sometimes having to wait a long while.

It's worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment